APC Africa Hafkin Prize 2004-5 : Recognising Community Connectivity Projects for Economic Development
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa -- "Connectivity is a term referring to the means by which people are connected to or are able to access communications channels such as the internet, email, computer and people networks."
The theme for this year's Hafkin Prize recognises community initiatives that use the internet and other digital communication networks to access markets, skills and opportunities to derive real economic benefits.
The CRITERIA by which entries will be judged by our international jury include:
1. Positive economic impact
* The project demonstrates a positive economic contribution to the community
* Has a long term vision for sustaining impact which includes training and developing local expertise
* Provides an equal opportunity for participation by the community regardless of sex, religion, political persuasion or income levels
* Is documented so that others can learn from the model
2. Africa-driven and developing Africa
* Developed and implemented by people and/or organisations based in Africa
* Must be local and community-based
3. Sustainable use of technology
* Offers or makes use of technology that is available and supported locally
* Demonstrates an understanding of the relationship between technology and the needs of the community on the ground.
THE PRIZE IS OPEN TO: The competition is open to civil society organisations, government institutions, educational organisations, community-based groups, networks, social movements or individuals anywhere in Africa. Applications will be accepted in both English and French.
THE PRIZE: USD$7,500.00 will be shared amongst up to three winning initiatives.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: February 14 2005
MORE ABOUT THE APC HAFKIN PRIZE: http://www.apc.org/english/hafkin or write to email@example.com
ABOUT THE ASSOCIATION FOR PROGRESSIVE COMMUNICATIONS (APC)
The Association for Progressive Communications is an international network of civil society organisations dedicated to empowering and supporting groups and individuals through the strategic use of information and communication technologies, especially internet-technologies.